Sunday, April 22, 2007

 

We Did Get Out . . . Part Two

Last time, we looked at the California coast north of Jenner, enjoying some rocks, sand, and waves. However, that wasn't all there was to see. Take a careful look at this pic and see if you can find the hidden surprise:


Come on, eagle eyes, you can do it. That's it, right there in the lower left corner. Here's a better look to give your peepers a rest. It's one of the charming facets of coastal life, the hobo camp:



Face it, you're jealous. It's got a great view. You can watch the sunset from your living room every night. You can smell the fresh ocean breezes. The sick thing about this is that with California real estate prices, even this shanty would probably run you 300 grand.


Here's a nice hobo fixer upper. Hey, at least it has garbage service, even if it is lacking on the walls and roof:

But enough of real estate. Let's turn our attention south. Here we are, north of the Russian river, looking at the coast south of the Russian river. That big lump in the ocean, connected to the coast by a small spit of land, is Goat Rock. I have no idea why they call it that; I sure didn't see any goats there. We'll get to that later:

So I'm north of the Russian river. Goat Rock is south of the Russian river. So where's the Russian river? It's right here:

What's that? You don't see it? Don't worry, we'll get to it next time. I must say, when I saw it, I could not believe what I was seeing. It was beyond my experience. Seeing something like that is just another benefit of travel.

As for camera technique, these were all taken sometime between 10AM and Noon, over a span of just a few minutes. You'll note quite a difference between the first four pictures and the last two, the difference being facing north or facing south. You can see I still have some work to do on shooting around the sun.
Update: Miss Tori informs me that I was really being unfair in my characterization of that little beachfront shanty, and the individual who built it. I shouldn't just go around calling people hobos. The person who lives in that structure would be more properly called homeless, or at least structurally challenged. A hobo would be more of a ride the rails sort of homeless person. My apologies to any vagabondy types who may have been offended.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?