Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

What Does "Surrender" Mean Anyway?

You may recall that I came into possession of the Guitar Hero II game over the holidays. One of the songs on the game is "Surrender" by Cheap Trick. Even playing the song on the game, I never paid much attention to the lyrics; I'm too busy trying to hit all the notes. The other day, Miss Tori asked me just what the heck the words were, and I didn't know what to tell her.

This morning, I decided to look them up, and I still don't know what to tell her:
Surrender
Words and Music by Rick Nielsen

Mother told me, yes, she told me I'd meet girls like you.
She also told me, "Stay away, you'll never know what you'll catch."
Just the other day I heard a soldier falling off some Indonesian junk that's going round.

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird.
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away, ay, ay, ay.

Father says, "Your mother's right, she's really up on things."
"Before we married, Mommy served in the WACS in the Philippines."
Now, I had heard the WACS recruited old maids for the war.
But mommy isn't one of those, I've known her all these years.

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird.
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away, ay, ay, ay.

Whatever happened to all this season's losers of the year?
Ev'ry time I got to thinking, where'd they disappear?
When I woke up, Mom and Dad are rolling on the couch.
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out.

Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird.
Surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away, ay, ay, ay.

Away.
Away.

Repeat Chorus 7X

I mean, come on, where do you go from there?

Look, I figure I can wrangle an explanation out of just about anything. Send in your dreams and I'll interpret them for you. Ask me for love life advice and I will advise you accordingly. I'll even give you a line by line reading of "Pour Some Sugar On Me," by Def Leppard.

But whatever I thought "Surrender" was going to be about, this wasn't it. I have to go to my cult meeting now, and I need some more time to think about it. If any of you want to shed some light on the subject, the comments are open.

Actual Update: Miss Tori did get a gold star rating on the song before I did.
Comments:
I was just fiddling with the guitar controller from "Guitar Hero" this past weekend, actually ... and I somehow envisioned it to be much ... larger. It's like ... a child's toy! But the game is addictive. I never got into that Dance Dance Revolution, but "Guitar Hero" had me hooked.
 
It does seem ridiculously small, but then I heard it's actually about 3/4 scale. And yes, in trying to describe the game to others, the Dance, Dance Revolution analogy definitely comes to mind.

I think I'll know I'm truly addicted when, like happened with Tetris, I close my eyes to sleep at night and I see that guitar neck with notes scrolling down toward me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?