Friday, September 03, 2004

 

“We Mutually Pledge To Each Other Our Lives, Our Fortunes, And Our Sacred Honor.” Who Said It? Plus Updates!!!

I haven’t done a quote for a while. For whatever reason, my posting topics lately haven’t been sparking quotes in my mind. I especially love this one. I mean it really speaks to me as a person. It easily gets in my top ten most important works of western literature. It sure as heck beats “I’ve got your back.” But let’s get to the post.

I’ve written a lot about Wizbang, which happens to be a blog that supports Bush. I saw a post there today about Bill Clinton’s need for heart surgery. On most posts, I don’t read comments, but this time I did. I wondered if people would be saying mean things about Clinton.

I’ve often wondered to myself about those on the left. Many of them don’t just disagree with Bush; they often seem to have a visceral hatred of our president. This may be an unfair comparison, but I’ve often wondered if Bush dropped dead from a stroke, or was assassinated, what the reaction of those on the left would be. I was surprised at how easily I could envision them dancing in the streets, just like middle easterners danced in the streets after 9/11. I have never heard or read or seen anyone on the left expressing that attitude specifically about Bush’s death, but the things they do say, well as I said it makes me wonder. And that’s why I checked the Wizbang comments. I mean, we’re better than these guys, right?

Maybe the jury’s still out. In the comments you’ll find some funny posts, some serious posts and a couple of posts that were over the line for me. I did not vote for Clinton. I did not vote for Gore. I won’t be voting for Kerry. I don’t want any of them to hold any office ever again. No matter how much I disagree with their politics, they’re all human beings with friends and loved ones. I may be a total jerk, but I don’t go around hoping they drop dead, and I don’t take pleasure in Clinton’s health problems.

Fortunately, I’m not the only one who feels this way. By the time I read the post and comments, two others, Cool Tester and Bryan C., had already made these same points. You can find the Wizbang post here. You go look now!

You can give Bryan C. thanks for his citizenship and his good example at his blog here. You go look now!

You can tell Cool Tester the same thing by clicking the email link at the bottom of his post.

Our troops are pledging their lives, most of us are not. Many who are financially able pledge some part of their fortunes, many of us do not. But every single one of us can pledge sacred honor, and I submit that this is an obligation that every citizen has a duty to fulfill. No matter how much you disagree with his policies or his actions, Bill Clinton is a human being; hoping he dies or taking pleasure in his poor health isn’t sacred, and it sure isn’t honor. Hold yourself to a higher standard. No matter how bad your life is, no matter how poor your fortunes may be, your sacred honor is the one thing over which you have total control. Exercise it.

Actual Update: An example of someone who isn’t getting enough exercise can be found at the always excellent Daschle v Thune here. You go look now!

Actual Update II: AP prints a story about Bush and his supporters that is an outright lie. There is no other way to describe it. Don’t take my word for it. Powerline has all the goods. This story, and a string of other excellent posts (are these guys bloggers of the year yet?), can be found here. You go look now!

No sacred honor at AP, I guess.

Actual Update III: Captain’s Quarters is another excellent blog that is on the case. The Captain has been kind enough to provide email addresses of AP executives here. You go look now!

Then use them to write a nice email like this:

Mr. AP Executive,

I was wondering if you have time to dash off a little note [here I tried to show appreciation for his limited time to email a nobody like me, and to convey that I’m not a heavy trying to browbeat him by using the phrase “little note.“ --LF] explaining how those two false statements (in bold print below) made it into your story about Bush's speech at West Allis, Wisconsin:

WEST ALLIS, Wis. - President Bush (news - web sites) on Friday wished Bill Clinton (news - web sites) "best wishes for a swift and speedy recovery." "He's is in our thoughts and prayers," Bush said at a campaign rally. Bush's audience of thousands in West Allis, Wis., booed. Bush did nothing to stop them. Bush offered his wishes while campaigning one day after accepting the presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in New York. Clinton was hospitalized in New York after complaining of mild chest pain and shortness of breath. Bush recently praised Clinton when the former president went to the White House for the unveiling of his official portrait. He lauded Clinton for his knowledge, compassion and "the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president."

Audio of the event actually shows dismay at the news and cheers when Bush asked for prayers for Clinton's recovery. Later versions of the article have the fabricated [notice how I chose “fabricated” to emphasize this is a lie, not a mistake?--LF] lines removed. However, as I write this [here I give an “as of now” type statement. My goal is to admit he may have addressed this issue and I haven‘t seen it yet. Hopefully I look open-minded, give the impression that I believe he is the sort who does the right thing, and don’t give the impression that I think he is hiding something.--LF] , there has been no explanation or acknowledgement. The statements are not merely shaded or slanted, they are completely made up.

The New York Times eventually admitted Jayson Blair had lied, and he was fired. While I have not studied Blair's false articles [admitting I may be wrong, and I am open to convincing by new evidence. See how non-threatening I am, Mr. AP Executive?--LF], I feel comfortable asserting that whatever he lied about, his lies were not nearly as harmful to our nation's future as the lie your reporter [establishing distance between Mr. AP Executive and the reporter by using “your reporter” as opposed to “you”.--LF] told about Bush during an election campaign.

How many millions of people will see the lies in this article? How many will see an acknowledgement of this, should you decide to do so? Probably far less. Accurate, truthful reporting is critically important during any election [a final common ground, “we can at least agree on this” sort of statement.--LF].

Thank you for your time. I hope your undoubtedly busy schedule allows you to respond [have I got a tan? No, it‘s just a brown nose.--LF].


Sincerely,
Blah Blah Blah

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?